Purple Sweet Potato Dessert

16.8.10

Purple Sweet Potato Dessert

i made purple sweet potato mont blanc again last week upon hubby's request and got some leftover puree from it. its not easy to find purple sweet potato recipes out there especially dessert ones (so far i only came across a few blogs using the same purple sweet potato chiffon cake recipe). i wanted to go for that at 1st but the thought of having to use 5 eggs in a cake just don't appeal to me. and having to work with egg whites all day while making macarons, the last thing i wanna do is whisk more egg whites so i decided on something simple and i made this without a recipe. drawing my inspiration from the korean hobakjuk (sweet pumpkin porridge) and the chinese black sesame seed paste, i decided to make a paste/gruel of sorts and then topped it with glutinous rice balls and sesame seeds. surprisingly it tasted quite good.

Purple Sweet Potato Dessert

as with all my trials & errors, i don't hv a recipe for this but a rough guide would be to steam the purple sweet potatoes, mash/puree them, add sugar, cream/milk to taste and if you like it even smoother, put the mixture through a strainer. for the glutinous rice balls, mix glutinous rice flour, some icing sugar and water until you get a soft dough (it should not stick to yr fingers). bring a pot of water to boil, form the dough into little rounds, drop them into the water and they're ready when they float.

lastly, trivia time! contrary to the popular belief, did you know that the purple sweet potato didn't orginate from japan despite the japanese use it extensively in their desserts? they originated from hawaii and were only introduced to japan some 300 years ago. interesting huh?

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Somehow this dish is very You! Maybe the colour made it very feminine and a touch of royalty. =) NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sydneylyn tan10:39 AM

    it looks reallt good! :)   and delicious! I really like your blog and am inspired with your photography :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey @ honeyandsoy10:58 AM

    Aww how pretty! The purple is so vivid! So are the balls like unfilled tang yuan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. instead of mashing the purple potato with milk/cream, try cream of coconut. much  better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bossacafez11:13 AM

    yea i like the purple too! yes unfilled tangyuan but i added some icing sugar so they're not so tasteless :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. bossacafez11:13 AM

    haha serious, very me? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice4:23 PM

    I've never heard of purple sweet potatoes, but will be on the lookout for them from now on. The asian theme to the dish is lovely and inspiring. Off to get the food dictionary out now to read up on them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria @ ScandiFoodie4:46 PM

    I love the colour! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. www.aboutfoood.blogspot.com5:32 PM

    <span>I 've seen purple potatoes before, but never sweet potatoes! It's looks very pretty.</span>

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's lovely.  I have a lot of purple yam.  I just steam and eat them like snack b/c I don't know what to do with them.  I will definitely try out this dish.  Could you share the recipe of purple sweet potato mont blanc as well?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth12:21 AM

    I've just go to find these purple sweet potaties. This is the second time I've seen them on blogs now but I've never seen one in a store...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. bossacafez1:32 AM

    i don't hv a recipe for that. u can just take the original mont blanc recipe here : http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/2008/11/montblanc-and-first-chestnuts-of-season.html and replace the chestnut paste with purple sweet potato paste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW i love this! the colour and my favourite version of sweet potato. You rock Evan...and always make me drool like a fool x

    ReplyDelete
  14. kirbie6:05 AM

    This looks great! I love eating purple sweet potatoes and I've had a hard time finding desserts with them. I've seen the chiffon cake and tried to make it, though my purple sweet potato batter turns a greyish blue once I bake with it. Don't know why. I love how vibrant this soup looks. I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon Wee8:58 AM

    Wow! Look at the purpleness of the potato paste. I love it :) I've seen purple sweet potates in the supermarket before but have never really known what to do with them, I'm going to have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  16. bossacafez10:19 AM

    hi kirbie, i think i know why! i've bought some purple sweet potatoes that turned out greyish blue before and they're from the smaller varieties, not sure if yours is like that. try to get bigger ones nx time, i think they hv a nicer hue of purple :)  

    ReplyDelete
  17. bossacafez10:19 AM

    <span>hi kirbie, i think i know why! i've bought some purple sweet potatoes that turned out greyish blue before and they're from the smaller varieties, something like the size of a beet so not sure if yours is like that as well. perhaps try to get bigger ones nx time, i think they hv a nicer hue of purple :) </span>

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chelle11:42 AM

    oh my my my. my fave colour is purple. and i love sweet potatoes. these look superb, but i still like my sweet potato plain and simply steamed. or even better, bbq-ed. nth beats bbq-ed sweet potato hot off the coals. hmmmmm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. bossacafez11:57 AM

    u know my friend was telling me he eats steamed sweet potatoes with butter & fleur de sel and its really good! shd try it someday haha. haven't tried them bbq-ed tho', i wanna try making oven-baked chips with it :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. shirley@kokken698:24 AM

    Very creative dish, Evan. I am sure it tastes as good as it looks. Your photos are superb as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fernanda2:07 PM

    <span>I love purple sweet potatoes. It's common in Brazil and one of our typical sweets, for St.John feast, are made with those lovely potatoes. I make it like this: wash and cook it in water. After this, peel (take care, they will be hot) and puree them while still hot (if they get cool, you can put it a little on the microwave). Weigth the mass and add the half of sugar. Take it to the stove again, in a saucepan, whisking with a silicone spoon till you see the saucepan’s botton. You can also add vanilla, or cinnamon, or, a very good choice, coconut milk. Here in Brazil we eat this with a little peace of fresh cheese, or, cream cheese. </span>

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images

.

Followers